Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thankful Thursday--Love and Playmobil Knights and Pirates

Henry is completely obsessed with his Playmobil sets. They have gone to school with him a couple of days this week, as well as to Harmony's dance lesson and pretty much anywhere he goes. I've been a little bit frustrated with him, partially because his favorite aspect is shooting/killing/knocking over the "bad guys". We've been very into non-violence--we talk about how killing breaks God's law, and we don't even want to pretend to do that.

I had a revelation last night--what a great way to teach him about Romans 5:8: "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." We are all "bad guys". We all deserve to die. Yet Christ died in OUR place, that we could live, not just now, but with Him, in heaven, for eternity.

Now I just need a chance to play knights with him again!

So this week I'm thankful for:
--Christ dying for me and all the other sinners out there.
--That there is nothing we can do to earn it
--The promise of eternal life, where Christ where wipe every tear away
--The opportunity to teach about God through Henry's favorite playthings
--For little boy's dreams of slaying the dragon and little girl's dreams of dancing at the ball
--That my kids WANT to play with me
--Biblememory.us This verse was one of the ones I've memorized--after using the program for six months, I really can see the fruit of it. I love that you don't move on until you have the verse exactly right, and there are opportunities to review the verses you've learned
--finding our W2 statements--they got misfiled.

Thanks to Iris for hosting this week's Thankful Thursday--complete with a give away! Talk about grace upon grace!

15 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing your thankful heart, bless you.

Amy said...

I enjoyed reading about you teaching God to your son. I taught my two youngest about Jesus calming the storm with their toys and boat while they were having a bath - they loved it :-)

Denise said...

thanks for stopping by my blog.. i do appreciate all the prayes that you ladies pray...... I have such peace about my back.. I know that God has this in control.... I love the stories of how you are teaching God to your children... what a blessing for them now and what a blessing for you as you watch them grow strong in the Lord as well as body............

eph2810 said...

Ann - I am so glad that you found your W2 statements :)

It is wonderful that your children want to play with you - how cool is that?!

Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with every week :).

Blessings to you and yours.

Princess said...

Aren't little boys one of God's greatest gifts? Learned a lot from your list.
Gotta check on the W2's........
Thanks for dropping by mine.

Mary said...

Your son's toys are a great way to teach him about God's love. There are so many opportunities to teach our children as we play with them.

Loved your TT list. Thanks so much for sharing. I enjoyed your visit to my blog. You're welcome anytime.

Blessings,
Mary

ellen b. said...

Isn't that the truth. We are all the "bad guys" Thank the Lord he redeemed us! Blessings on you and yours...

Cheryl said...

Such a nice TT post. So much to teach little ones. Sounds like you are doing a great job! God Bless!

Unknown said...

I love it that God uses ordinary things to teach us more about Him!

Have a blessed day!

Love Bears All Things said...

I loved that you found a way to explain that to Henry.
I apoligized to my son once after he was a father for the mistakes I made and he said, what he remembered most was that I played with him and we had fun. Now I play with my grands. I got down in the floor when the were little but it is getting harder now.
Blessings
Mama Bear

Anonymous said...

Wonderful things to be thankful for. It's so cool that your kids love playing with the kids.

Lori said...

What a wonderful list. I am a Mom of three boys, I would not allow toy guns or anything like that into my house, but it seems defeating the "bad guys" is just instilled in them. What ever they were playing with, it would turn into a sword, etc...

It is just boys. =)) Have a wonderful night.

mexicanmasala said...

Isn't it amazing what they want to play even when we haven't directly shown them? You're doing a great job addressing it!

sharon brobst said...

What a great Thankful post! Thank you for you visit today, I always love to visit someone new!

Melanie said...

It's so wonderful to be able to use such a great example to teach your son about God. Something he'll probably always remember.