Friday, February 8, 2008

I am 36, going on 37...

Remember this Sound of Music song?
Rolf:]
You wait, little girl, on an empty stage, For fate to turn the light on
Your life, little girl, is an empty page, That men will want to write on

[Liesl:]
To write on

[Rolf:]
You are sixteen going on seventeen Baby, it's time to think
Better beware, be canny and careful Baby, you're on the brink

You are sixteen going on seventeen Fellows will fall in line
Eager young lads and rogues and cads Will offer you food and wine

Totally unprepared are you To face a world of men
Timid and shy and scared are you Of things beyond your ken

You need someone older an wiser telling you what to do
I am seventeen going on eighteen I'll take care of you

[Liesl:]
I am sixteen going on seventeen I know that I'm naive
Fellows I meet may tell me I'm sweet and willingly I believe

I am sixteen going on seventeen Iinocent as a rose
Bachelor dandies, drinkers of brandies, What do I know of those

Totally unprepared am I to face a world of men
Timid and shy and scared am I Of things beyond my ken

I need someone older and wiser telling me what to do
You are seventeen going on eighteen I'll depend on you


Alrighty, I'm not sixteen, but I am thirty six. And just like Liesel, I need help with this getting older thing! It's definitely hitting, and I'm feeling it. The other night, Harmony said, "Mommy, what are those lines on your face?" Ugh...

I am not ready to be old. I know, just like Paul, that I must diminish as my kids get older. But I am not ready to be old, ugly and useless...but that's definitely how I feel.

So if you're older and wiser (even if it's 37 going on 38 :)) and have some advice to give, I'd appreciate it. I am completely serious when I say that we're one of the oldest at our church, so there aren't "real life" mentors available...so I'm looking in the bloggy world!

4 comments:

The Rock Star said...

Uh huh... Yes, I hope some bloggy people can help you out! :) If it makes you feel any better, it is not easy being on the other side of the spectrum and being single with no prospects. ;)

Jen said...

Friend, I'm not older, but I left you a list at my site. It's what God showed me, so maybe it won't apply. Praying for you...

Oh, and as my g'ma always laughs and lectures, "Honey, you'r not old! If I'm not old at 86, you can't be old either!"

mexicanmasala said...

The one thing I think of when reading this is I've heard recently women have a hard time accepting change and aging in their 30s and sometimes 40s. By their 50s, most experience true happiness and content with their age and lives. So, there's hope!

I go through this, too. You're so not alone!

Unknown said...

Ann, just remember that age is only a number. I don't usually tell people how old I am, because that's NOT how old I feel.

Here are a couple of suggestions. First, if you have any gray hair, color it! It's a fast pick-me-up and takes years off. Also, invest in some great anti-aging skin care products. You don't have to do anything radical like cosmetic surgery. Great skin care products will feed your skin the moisture and vitamins that it is lacking. (I recommend Mary Kay, but that's because that's what I sell.)

I'm going to Jen's site to check out what she posted.

((Hugs))