Monday, February 18, 2008

In training--chafing

Today I had to stop running early. The shirt I was wearing was rubbing under my arms, and it hurt! I tried putting some Body Glide, but it was too late. Like their web page says, prevention is better than a cure...next time I'll put it on first.

I'll also choose a different shirt. Sometimes it's the same way in my spiritual life--what am I choosing to wear? Am I putting on compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience? Or selfishness, anger, pride, harshness and impatience? The latter definitely chafes.

In the last month, I've been hit hard with pregnancy announcements. Six friends have recently become pregnant--it's been one a week at church for the last month. I thought I was done mourning the miscarriages, but I guess I'm not, because it chafes. But I have a choice: I can celebrate with my friends, or host a pity party. I'm voting for the former--it chafes less.

Lord, help me be clothed in your selections of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. They're much better than my yuckky rags of self centeredness and impatience.

No comments: