Tuesday, February 19, 2008

God, grant me patience...

Tonight at dinner:

Henry: Mom, can I have some juice?
Me: Yes. (gets up from table).
Henry: Mom, can I have some juice? some punch juice?
Me: Yes, Henry. (gets glass out of cabinet)
Henry: Mom, can I PLEASE have some juice?
Me: Yes, Henry. I'm working on it! (Opens fridge)
Henry: (sighs). I don't think I'm ever going to get a drink.
Me: (sighs and pours juice). Patience, please. (I think I was asking for me, not Henry!)
Henry: (guzzles juice) I didn't think I'd EVER get some juice!

This sequence is fairly common in our house...even when I'm NOT doing something at the time of a request, I never seem to be quite fast enough.

Once again, God uses my children to teach me about me...how many times am I bugging Him about what He's already working out?

God, please give me patience, both with my children and with your timing...and send it now :)

4 comments:

Kim said...

What a funny story, and one that happens often at my house (with my same sentiments) minus the language. Noah just whines and throws a fit. Today was one of those days that I was praying for patience...and I chuckled too when I said that I wanted it NOW! Thank goodness that God is patient with us even when we struggle with our own kids.

Sheila said...

Sounds like our house!

Unknown said...

What great insight! "God's already working on it."

Jen said...

That same conversation happens at our house, too! We've been working on a "single request" rule at the table. Ask once and have grace for Mom and Dad who are trying to serve lots of little ones and each other. It hasn't caught on yet. but I'm still hoping it will...maybe I should use the same rule with the Lord. Ask once and wait in His grace.