Monday, May 7, 2007

Save the Cheerleaders

Patrick is a fan of Heroes, I'm not. But I do know their goal: Save the cheerleader.

Cheerleaders played an interesting role in the mini-marathon. The mini-marathon course was covered with people cheering on individuals, as well as actual cheerleading teams from the local high schools and bands, ranging from good to "I think I'll run faster so I don't have to hear THAT anymore." Not to mention the hundreds of people manning the water stations every mile or so.

While they weren't running the race, the cheerleaders played an important role in encouraging us to stick to the task at hand, and to endure. It was a good reminder that while I'm not dealing with some of the same "races" as my friends, I can encourage them, whether by a phone call, e-mail, note, or visit. When I was a middle school youth counselor, our youth pastor encouraged us to write notes to five people a week--about one a day. I need to get back in that habit.

I did notice some of the cheerleaders tiring--who wouldn't after two hours of yelling, with another two or so to go? And who wouldn't? You've been standing there in the hot sun, watching a lot of hot, sweaty runners go by, most of whom don't even acknowledge that you're there. You don't get a medal--you're not anywhere close to the finish line. But Galatians 6:9 encourages us to continue doing good, especially to other Christians.

Lord, help me save the cheerleader--help me recognize those who could benefit from encouragement, especially tired cheerleaders.

No comments: