Thursday, May 10, 2007

If you never gave me one more thing, I'd be happy

Eating ice cream with our friend, Gracie!

So today I went swimming at lunchtime instead of running--my knees are still complaining about the mini-marathon, though they're getting better. Anyway, swimming is great thinking/praying time. I thinking about Luke 18:17 (nope, I didn't know that off the top of my head --I had to look it up)--"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Sometimes I wonder if that's what Jesus really meant--kids are just, if not more, selfish, than adults, and some days it seems the only thing I hear from my kids is whining, complaining, tattling, and arguing. I love them very much, but it gets hard to listen to.

I'm sorry to say my prayers probably sound a lot like my kids--"I want this, I want that, I don't want THAT, I want it now, did you see what she did? when are you coming home, I don't wanna go to the park, I want LarryBob/I want God songs..." I'm sorry, God. I know you know what is best for me (and the rest of the planet), but I don't act that way. And the thought that filled my head as I showered was based on the Seder service our small group had at Passover--If I only had God's presence, that would be enough. If he never gave me another blessing, but gave me his presence, that would be enough.

Lord, help me focus on all the wonderful gifts you've given me--even my children's complaining. Your presence is sufficient for me.

No comments: