Saturday, July 12, 2008

Who is the donkey?

My memory verse this week is Numbers 23:19 (I really love BibleMemory.us!):
God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfill?

That's been a great verse for this week (well, we're probably well into week 2...). I love that we have a God that does what he says he will and keeps his promises. That's definitely something to hold onto this week, with friends in the hospital.

One of the best things about this verse is who said it. Balaam was hired by Balak, the king of the Moabs, to curse the Israelites. Balaam heard from God, and didn't want to go with Balak, because he knew he couldn't curse them. It was Balaam's donkey who saw an angel of the Lord and spoke to Balaam (gotta love Rich Mullin's lyrics). In fact, every time Balak set up a sacrifice so that Balaam could curse Israel (maybe God will let the Israelites be cursed *here*, Balaam ended up blessing Israel. (The whole story is here.)

I'm not sure why this resonated so much with me, but it was totally encouraging, getting me back in my Bible, doing some study. One day what struck me was how God can use anyone--a sorcerer from another country and even his donkey. Tonight what struck me was that it didn't matter where Balak took Balaam, God's word was still His unchanging word, and the Israelites were blessed.

Thanks, Lord, that your word is your word, and that you always follow through. It doesn't matter where we are or where we're facing, you will still bless your people. Thanks that you use even a donkey and a sorcerer--maybe even you and me.

No comments: