Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I AM--Set up for a show up

I started the I AM Bible study a long time ago. First, I was way behind round 1...then I was way ahead for Round 2. But round 2 stopped just as soon as it got to the lesson I was on! Tonight I decided to continue on, despite not being in a "group".

I'm on "Set up for a Show up." All I can say right now is wow.
It covers chapters 5-7 of Exodus. Basically, God knew things would get worse for the Egyptians before they got better--so that it would be obvious WHO it was that was saving them, and WHY they needed to be rescued (both now and from sin).

"It is when we're at rock bottom that God is most obvious." Too true! It isn't until I get to the end of myself that God even has a chance to show up--I'm too into "me" to turn to Him. Thankfully this last year is breaking me of that--guess it's my Exodus in a way!

On to the discussion questions...

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, rate yourself on how often your conversation is seasoned with the works of the Lord on your behalf? If you speak very little of Him, is there a reason you know of? If you speak often, how do people respond?

At work, a 2. At home and with friends, a 7. At work I try to let Christ show through my attitude and treatment of others instead of preaching with empty words--something that has created defensiveness towards anything sounding Christian, unfortunately. When it comes up naturally, I talk about it--but I don't push it.

2. Have you experienced a Set Up for a Show Up when you were uncertain whether the situation was the chastisement of the Lord or a temptation of Satan?

Yup--read all the miscarriage posts.

3. Have you ever or are you now experiencing any Job trials where you can still not identify any wrong-doing on your part?

You know, I really think I've exited Egypt--it's nice to be able to say that after a year. But only because I've had a ton of prayer from friends, people at church and in my Life Group--thanks, guys!

4. Apply this principle: How can my response make my God famous? Will obedience result in my sanctification and God's Glory?
You know, one of the first things I turned to when the miscarriage happened was Job. I wanted to be able to mourn like he did, yet do it without sinning. I don't know if I succeeded, but I tried--and I hope that in the process God got some fo the glory.

5. Does the origin of our affliction matter in view of the fame God can gain from it?

Nope--I think He can get the glory for everything if we have the correct approach. Not that I'm good at it, but I'm trying--I'm sure some days I'm very trying :)

No comments: