Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Works for me Wednesday--cheap microwave popcorn



Microwave popcorn is pricy--even on sale the cheapest I've seen is $1/3. The bag of popcorn is much cheaper, but I get weary of washing the pan (er, Patrick gets weary of it--he's the dishwasher in the house!)

The answer: homemade microwave popcorn!

Place ~1/4 cup popcorn in a lunch size paper bag. (if you like, you can spray the popcorn with non-stick spray first--I haven't noticed a difference in performance). Fold the top over 1/2 inch, three times. Place bag in microwave; turn on popcorn setting (or 5 minutes, if you don't have a popcorn setting). Stay close; when the pops slow down to one every couple of seconds, turn it off.

If you want, you can eat it straight out of the bag--no dirty dishes at all!

For more Works for Me, visit Rocks in my Dryer...

4 comments:

Nancy said...

We'll have to try this as we've got popcorn we received in a Christmas gift basket. Thanks for sharing!

DairyQueen said...

who knew? Have to give that a try!

Jen said...

Good idea! I bet you could flavor it slightly, too. This is cheaper than the $1 box, though I thought I was getting a good deal--33 cents for a snack for all five of us:) That's 6 cents per person...but I like making that an even chaper endeavour! And I like the idea of no clean up especially!

Do you ever cut up fresh apples and mix them into the hot popcorn? That's so yummy in the Fall when the apples are perfect! My kids fight over the apple chinks:)

Jodi said...

great idea - we've gotten addicted to air pop! popcorn is such a great snack!