Saturday, January 19, 2008

And you never know who God is gonna use

The chorus of one of my favorite Rich Mullins songs goes:
And you never know who God is gonna use
A princess or a baby
Or maybe even you or me


I was amazed to see that in action on my trip. I was traveling with a lapsed reformed Presbyterian and an atheist. You wouldn't expect God conversations to happen, but they did.

As we were driving there, we talked about the atheist's daughter choosing a college--she's chosen a Christian school and has been attending a non-denominational church with a friend! Praise God :) It was interesting to hear him describe the Holy Spirit at work without using that term--but it's easy to see in action.

Then the lapsed reformed Presbyterian said they had started going to an Episcopalian (sp?) church and was singing in the choir. I don't want to get into a big discussion about denominations, but I'm happy to hear that he's moving towards God.

Finally, the school we were visiting was named after a major player in the reformation. After seeing a statue of the guy, we had a long discussion about the Heidelberg Catechism...every time we were in the car. The reformed presbyterian was telling about the principles and things he had learned as a teen in Catechism--directed to the atheist, who was interested and asking questions. Too cool!

The amazing thing to me was that the only conversation I started was "so, has your daughter chosen a college?" Now, I don't know that I'd meet either of these colleagues in heaven if Jesus came back tomorrow, but it was encouraging to see God working in their lives, and with their families, especially since they're heavy hitting academic types.

Guess it totally reinforced the Veggie Tales movie we saw on Thursday!

Thanks, Lord, that you're moving in ways we don't even know about, and that someday every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord!

1 comment:

Kim said...

That's awesome Ann! Those conversations are so encouraging and uplifting knowing that God is working and planting seeds in (often) interesting ways.