Saturday, September 8, 2007

Who am I?

Yup, it's week 7 of the I AM...so you don't have to be study. They're starting another round, so if you didn't join, here's your chance!

When we last left the ranch, Moses had just met God in a burning bush on the far side of the wilderness. God has asked him to go and tell Pharoah to let His people go.

This week we're looking at Moses's response in Exodus 3:11: But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"

What strikes me most about God's response is: it's not about you, it's about me. It doesn't matter what your qualifications are, because I'll be with you. How easily we get stuck on ME and what I can do, and forget that we're just the instrument, it's really all about GOD and what HE can do.

How would you answer the questions, "Who Am I?"
Unlike Moses I suffer from having too many titles--mom, wife, professor, Kid's church teacher...some days I wonder who I am if I scrape off all those titles. I think I'm having a bit of an early midlife crisis--who am I anyway?

Have you ever been in a situation where you felt inadequate because of your lack of a 'tagline'?
No, but I've recently been in some meetings where it's obvious that God is grooming me for something, because I am definitely the youngest and least credentialed person at the table. It's intimidating, and my gut response is to withdraw. But God's put me there for a reason...now I just have to figure out what that reason is.

How are you with your dialogue vs. doubt conversations with God? Which does God hear most from you?

I'm afraid I sound more like my kids when they're whining than I'd like to...why can't I stay at home? Why do I have to do research? Why won't my body do what I want it to? Why can't I...blah blah blah. What I've got to remember is that it's not about me, it's about what God can do through me, and to just get over myself.

Thanks God, that you promise to be with us, and that's all we need to do your work. Help me to look past myself and trust you with the tasks you've put before me.

1 comment:

Christi S said...

Stopping by from The Preacher's Wife study! I'm sure that God DOES have great things in store for you! God bless you!