Monday, April 23, 2007

Running on E

I got less than 6 hours of sleep last night.
I didn't eat lunch--instead I ran 6 miles.
I couldn't tell you how much gas is in my car, but I know it's less than a quarter tank.
Spiritually, I'm running on fumes, too.

It's the end of the semester, and there is the usual crush of grading, papers, exams, meetings and all other kinds of joyous (not) stuff. It really is the final sprint of a race. And as I prepare for the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon on May 5, it's the final leg of preparation for a real race, too.

Paul compares our spiritual life to a race too, both in Corinthians and in Phillipians. I guess the difference between it and a typical race is knowing where the finish line is. I know the mini-marathon is 13.1 miles. I know, one way or another, classes are done on Friday, and finals are done the week after that. But my spiritual race? Who knows? I could be like my grandma, and live to be past ninety--that would mean I've got another 55 years to press on. Or I could be killed in a car accident tomorrow, or Jesus could return tonight. It's that uncertainty, not knowing how much longer, that makes it a struggle to keep on, keeping on.

Lord, give me the endurance to keep on in my spiritual race, even when I'm tired and don't know where the finish line is. Send a mile marker or water break soon, I need you!

1 comment:

Jen said...

It's after midnight and I can totally relate to running on fumes! Seems like the times I've been there spiritually have been the times He has reminded me of how important it is to draw away with Him for a bit. Jesus modeled it for us so I don't know why I can't remember to do it. I'm praying for you, friend!