Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Henry, the lasso evangelist



Henry has always loved swinging stuff. Last year it was his socks--they regularly turned into propellers. We gave up on the clips to keep his mittens attached to his coat--they also became propellers.

While the swinging phase has mostly subsided, Henry re-discovered it last week at Purdue's Bug Bowl, where he got to lasso straw cow (with a little help). Tonight he found a cord, and begged me to tie it like a lasso...and I obliged. He then told me that he was going to lasso the bad guys and tell them about Jesus.

Hmm, interesting concept, Henry. How many evangelists have tried lasso techniques, tying someone up, flipping them on their back, and putting their brand on them? The thing about lasso evangelism is that the targets probably have the same reaction as our cat, Ali--the more Henry tries to pin her down to pet and love on her, the more she tries to run away.

Once again, I don't know where I'm going with this analogy...but maybe it has something to do about how I should be presenting Jesus to people. Am I tying them up, burning them, and sending them off scared? Or am I showing them Jesus's love, his transforming power in my own life, and inviting them to join me in the journey?

Lord, show me who needs to hear about your love, and how I can best show it to them.

No comments: