Friday, April 6, 2007

Bees and bearing fruit

Today I was outside with Henry, age 4.5. Our hyacinths are in bloom, and Henry loves walking along the wall and smelling the flowers. However, the bees like them too, and Henry doesn’t really like the bees. So I tried explaining that bees are good. They pollinate flowers, which allows them to develop from flowers into fruit.

Hmm…flowers into fruit. I know there is a spiritual lesson there, but I’m not getting it yet. I know there are spiritual fruits: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). I know the parable of the sower, how the type of soil (our hearts) determines the outcome of the seed (Mark 4:3-9), and how some are called to plant, others are called to water, but God makes the plant grow (1 Corinthians 3:6). I know that Jesus is the vine and we are the branches, and if we stay with him we’ll bear much fruit (John 15:5).

But I don’t know what the bee is. What pollinates us, to go from just pretty things to nutritious things? Are the bees the things in life that sting, but God makes honey out of? Are we all just “wind” (spirit) pollinated? Does this have something to do with interacting with other believers, since most plants are self incompatible and need to receive pollen from another plant?

Any insight?

No comments: