Friday, June 8, 2007

Beautiful to God

These are my answers to Lesson Two of the I Am study at the preachers-wife's blog (sorry this isn't a link, I'm on Patrick's mac and the shortcuts I'm used to aren't there!)
http://thepreachers-wife.blogspot.com/2007/01/i-am-study-lesson-two-lovely-in-sight.html
It's an interesting study, and it keeps mirroring what I've been reading in my personal studies, so it's definitely being used by God! For example, I had just read about how Saul was selected to be king, and that was one of the passages suggested. So if you're looking for a little direction in your quiet time, try it!

What is your initial response when anyone suggests you are beautiful?
Yah, right. Maybe 10 years ago, but not now. I've got at least 10 lbs to lose to get in the middle of healthy range...pretty average for a Hoosier. I'm pretty average in every way, and considering how little time I spend in maintenance (like, I haven't had a haircut since Christmas break, and I'm prone to use the kid's shampoo), it's not surprising that I'm below average in the outward appearance category. Inside, I'm pretty average--the only beauty there is where Christ is--where it's me, it's ugly. It doesn't help that I seem to be surrounded by beautiful (both exterior and interior) people at church, so I'm definitely average or below.

Do you find you engage in a lot of negative 'self-talk'? How much of your thought life does this form of thinking consume?
No, I'm usually too busy for it, and I know there are more important issues than how I look.

Has it ever occurred to you that you are a City Girl? How do you plan to use this knowledge?
I grew up a country girl. I've visited the Big Apple and other large cities, and they just make me appreciate my country roots. Planting, sowing, weeding, and harvesting are dirty work, so I'd rather be a country mouse than a city mouse. When I think City Girl, I think high maintenance, more concerned with appearances than heart and soul issues. But I do think God can shine through a country girl like myself too :)

In what ways has your view of Godly beauty changed as a result of these Scriptures?
I don't know that it's changed my views as much as reminded me that what God looks at is the inside, not the outside. It also wants to make me careful to present a balanced view of beauty to my little girl.

No comments: